Wednesday, November 9, 2011

People That You Meet....In the Neighborhood...

So, after you have been giving this diagnosis, you meet lots of people that have either had it, know someone who had, or is a big supporter of the cause and they each have different outlooks on the whole thing.

Take for example, a survivor that we'll call "Hot Lil"...Now, "Hot Lil", is the sweetest, most loving person you could ever meet. She is also the your biggest cheerleader. A week after my diagnosis was the "big walk". She says (in a very sweet, motherly, almost a little southern way), "Now, you know you have to come and walk your survivor's lap". My initial reaction was what happy planet did she fall from??? Walk a survivors lap??? I haven't survived anything yet!!! Reluctantly, I went. Oh, did I mention that her last words to me were...."Wear your pink".

Pink....pink was an understatement. I feel like I went back to Shelby's wedding...."My colors are blush and bashful...pink is my signature color". I think there was enough pink in that gym to make even Shelby sick of pink. Once you waded through the sea of pink, you saw young, old, fat, skinny, bald, long flowing hair, hats, bandannas.....and you realize...wow...I am one of them. It does not discriminate.

But wait...there's more....So, I pick out Hot Lil in this proverbial sea of pink. She grabs me, HUGE smile, pom pom in hand (in pink, of course), big ribbon with the number 6 on it, shouting and cheering. Really??? So, I guess this was supposed to be reassuring to me. At the time, it wasn't. Here is a little bit of my minds eye...let me set the stage for you....

Cheerleader Captain: "Ready?"

Cheerleaders: "OK!" "We've got Cancer, yes we do, We've got Cancer, How about You?"

(you know, doing the whole head tilt, big, open smile)

I wanted to bop them all up side their cute little heads with their pompoms.

Okay, so that didn't really happen, but it sure did feel that way!!!!

I love my little "Hot Lil"....you will be hearing a lot more stories about her!!! There are lots of people that have come along the way that I hope to write about individually. But, for now, I will leave you with just this first introduction to "Hot Lil".

I won't introduce anyone else just yet...but just wait...they will be coming!!

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness...lol that is not the first time I have been called the cheerleader but honey you have to see yourself from the start of this race as the survivor...that is why I wanted you to walk that lap with me. I hoped it would show you how many of us are winning the race ...beating cancer's butt...I hope it worked because you will wear a big # 1 next year !

    ReplyDelete